- Sports Camps
- Class Schedule/Calendar
- Healthy Eating Recipes
Healthy Eating Recipes
Sometimes eating right can be a chore. Not sure what to make or need to try something new? Check out some of these recipes and send us your comments.
Makes 1 serving ready in about 25 minutes
4oz boneless, skinless chicken breast
1/2c artichoke hearts, rinsed
1/2oz fresh basil leaves
2tsp olive oil
1/2 tabelspoon of Parmeasan cheese
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper
1/4 c cooked amaranth
Olive oil cooking spray
1. Heat pan over medium heat. Lightly spray with olive oil cooking spray and add chicken.
2. Cook chicken with a lid on for most of the cooking. When almost cooked, add the artichoke hearts an cook for 1 minute.
3. Meanwhile, in a food processor, blend basil, olive oil, cheese and seasonings until you get a paste like consistency.
4. Place chicken and artichokes on top of the cooked amaranth and top with pesto mixture.
Chicken Kabobs & Red Pepper Hummus with Pita Chips
Makes 1 serving Ready in 30 minutes
6oz boneless skinless chicken breast
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 roasted red pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp olive oil
2tbsp lemon juice
1 (12 oz ) whole wheat pita pocket
Olive oil cooking spray
Wooden skewers (optional)
Preheat oven to 425 to 450.
1. Cut chicken into large chunks and thread onto 1-2 skewers.
2. Sprinkle chicken skewers with black pepper
3. Spray a baking sheet lightly with olive oil cooking spray and place kabobs on the sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes, flip skewers, and bake for another 10-12 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, in a food processor, blend chickpeas, roasted red pepper, cayenne, lemon juice and olive oil until smooth. Cut pita into quarters and then into eights.
5. Serve skewers with hummus and pita.
1c chopped yellow onion
1 lb extra lean ground turkey
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp chili powder
2 tsp dried oregano
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
2 cups jarred low sodium tomato sauce
2 cups low sodium beef broth
1 cup canned pure pumpkin
1 15oz can kidney beans, rinsed
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp honey
14 oz whole wheat spaghetti
4 oz shredded low fat cheddar cheese
Sautee onion until softened, add ground turkey and cook until brown. stir in garlic and seasonings, cook for 1 minute then transfer to a slow cooker. Add in the cocoa powder, tomato sauce, broth, pumpkin, beans, vinegar and honey. Stir well and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
To serve, cook spaghetti as directed on package and divide evenly among serving dishes. Top with chili and cheese, dividing evenly.
6 egg whites
1 egg yolk
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp paprika
Pinch of crushed saffron, optional
1 tsp sunflower, safflower or grape seed oil
2 slices whole wheat bread, cubed
1 zucchini, julienned
1 red bell pepper, minced
1 plum tomato, chopped
in a medium bowl, whisk egg whites, yolk, oregano, paprika and if desired, saffron. set aside.
In a large skillet, heat oil on high. Add bread, zucchini, bell pepper and tomato and sautee, stirring constantly, until vegitables soften and begin to brown, about 3 minutes. drizzle egg mixture over top and stir constantly until eggs are cooked, about 3 minutes.
Makes 2- 1 1/2c servings
Applesauce Pumpkin Muffins
1c old fashioned oatmeal ( not instant )
1/2c unsweetend applesauce
1/2c canned pumpkin
2 large egg whites + 1 yolk slightly beaten
2tbsp + 1tsp canola oil
1 tbsp double-acting baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 c non fat milk
1/2 c flour ( whole wheat pastry flour )
1/2 c dried cranberries
1/4 cup splenda or stevia
Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line muffin pan or spray lightly with non stick spray
In a large bowl combine dry ingredients and mix well. Make a well in the center- set aside.
In a seprate bowl, combine wet ingredients and mix until blended, then pour into well of dry mix.
Mix together until moistened well and pour into prepared muffin cups.
Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned on top
Cal from fat 78
Pinto, Black, and Red Bean Salad with Grilled Corn
1 cup halved heirloom grape or cherry tomatoes
3 ears shucked corn
1 medium white onion, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
1 jalapeño pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added kidney beans, rinsed and drained
2 diced peeled avocados
1. Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
2. Place the tomatoes in a large bowl, and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Let stand 10 minutes.
3. Brush corn, onion, and jalapeño evenly with oil. Place vegetables on grill rack coated with cooking spray. Grill corn for 12 minutes or until lightly charred, turning after 6 minutes. Grill onion slices and jalapeño 8 minutes or until lightly charred, turning after 4 minutes. Let vegetables stand 5 minutes. Cut kernels from cobs. Coarsely chop onion. Finely chop jalapeño; discard stem. Add corn, onion, and jalapeño to tomato mixture; toss well. Add remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, cilantro, and next 4 ingredients (through kidney beans) to corn mixture; toss well. Top with avocado
Makes 12 servings ( 2/3 cup )
Calories: 141 Calories 141
Protein 5 g
Fiber 6 g
2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
1/4 cup Fresh Salsa
1 cup spicy black bean dip (such as Guiltless Gourmet)
4 (8-inch) multigrain flour tortillas (such as Tumaro's)
1/2 cup (2 ounces) reduced-fat shredded Monterey Jack cheese
Preheat oven to 450
1. Combine chicken and salsa in a medium bowl.
2. Spread 1/4c black bean dip over each tortilla.
3. Top each tortilla evenly with chicken and 2 tablespoons of cheese.
4. Stack tortialls in a 9 inch springform pan coated with cooking spray.
5. Bake at 450 for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted. Remove sides of pan and cut into 4 pie wedges. Serve immediately.
Protein 39 g
Carbohyrates 28 g
Sodium 660 mg
Tip* You can use a rotisserie chicken instead of cooked chicken breast, just be aware it will increase the sodium.
Chipoltle Chicken Taco Salad
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2/3 cup light sour cream
1 tablespoon minced chipotle chile, canned in adobo sauce
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
4 teaspoons fresh lime juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 cups shredded romaine lettuce
2 cups chopped roasted skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 2 breasts )
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 cup diced peeled avocado
1/3 cup thinly vertically sliced red onion
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (8 3/4-ounce) can no-salt-added whole-kernel corn, rinsed and drained
To prepare dressing, combine first 7 ingredients, stirring well.
Combine lettuce and remaining ingredieants in a large bowl, add dressing and toss gently. Serve immediately.
Tip* For a spicier salad, add adobo sauce to the dressing. Kidney or pinto beans are also great in this dish.
Protein 23 g
Carbohydrates 25 g
Fat 8 g
Parmesan Zucchini Sticks with a Smokey Roasted Romensco Sauce
1 1/2 tablespoons smoked almonds
1/2 cup french bread, cubed
2 plum tomatoes
3 medium red bell peppers
1 tablespoon extravirgin olive oil 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon Spanish smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 large garlic clove
3 large zucchini
1/2 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup egg substitute
1. Preheat broiler.
2. To prepare sauce, cut bell peppers in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes. Place bell pepper halves and tomatoes, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet; flatten bell peppers with hand. Broil 10 minutes or until blackened. Place in a zip-top plastic bag; seal. Let stand 15 minutes. Peel and coarsely chop, reserving any liquid.
3. Combine bell peppers, reserved liquid, tomatoes, and next 8 ingredients (through garlic) in a blender or food processor; process until smooth.
4. Preheat oven to 400°.
5. To prepare zucchini, cut 1 zucchini in half crosswise; cut each half lengthwise into 8 wedges. Repeat procedure with remaining zucchini. Combine breadcrumbs, panko, cheese, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and black pepper in a shallow dish. Dip zucchini in egg substitute; dredge in breadcrumb mixture. Place zucchini on a wire rack coated with cooking spray. Lightly coat zucchini with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve immediately with sauce
Protein 8 g
Carbohydrates 23 g
Fat 5 g
Grilled Eggplant Parmesean Sandwich
Our healthier eggplant Parmesan sandwich uses tender, smoky grilled eggplant instead of fried, so it has a fraction of the fat and calories. To make these sandwiches a cinch to prepare, make sure to have all your ingredients ready before you head out to the grill
1 large eggplant, (1 1/4-1 1/2 pounds), cut into 12 1/4-inch-thick rounds
Canola or olive oil cooking spray
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons finely shredded Parmesan, or Asiago cheese
1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
4 small pieces focaccia bread, or rustic Italian bread
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
5 ounces baby spinach
1 cup crushed tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted
3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
Preheat grill to medium-high.
2.Place eggplant rounds on a baking sheet and sprinkle with salt. Coat both sides lightly with cooking spray. Combine Parmesan (or Asiago) and mozzarella in a small bowl. Brush both sides of focaccia (or bread) with oil.
3.Place spinach in a large microwave-safe bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and punch several holes in the wrap. Microwave on High until wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Combine tomatoes and 2 tablespoons basil in a small microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave until bubbling, about 2 minutes.
4.Place all your ingredients on the baking sheet with the eggplant and take it to the grill. Grill the eggplant slices until brown and soft on both sides, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Grill the bread until toasted, about 1 minute per side. Return the eggplant and bread to the baking sheet. Reduce grill heat to medium.
5.Place 1 eggplant round on top of each slice of bread. Layer 1 tablespoon tomatoes, 1 tablespoon wilted spinach and 1 tablespoon cheese on each slice of eggplant. Repeat with the remaining eggplant, sauce, spinach and cheese. Sprinkle each stack with some of the remaining basil. Place the baking sheet on the grill, close the lid and grill until the eggplant stack is hot and the cheese is melted, 5 to 7 minutes.
291 calories; 8 g fat 48 g carbohydrates; 12 g protein 9 g fiber
Pesto topped grilled summer squash
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts, (see Tip)
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
1 clove garlic, minced
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 medium summer squash, (about 1 pound), sliced diagonally 1/4 inch thick
Canola or olive oil cooking spray
1.Preheat grill to medium-high.
2.Combine basil, pine nuts, oil, Parmesan, garlic, lemon juice and salt in a small bowl.
3.Coat both sides of squash slices with cooking spray. Grill the squash until browned and tender, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Serve topped with the pesto.
*To toast pine nuts, place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes
115 calories; 10 g fat, 6 g carbohydrates, 3 g protein; 2 g fiber
3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 stalk celery, finely diced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
15 ounces canned salmon, drained, or 1 1/2 cups cooked salmon
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 3/4 cups fresh whole-wheat breadcrumbs, (see Tip)
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and celery; cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in parsley; remove from the heat.
3. Place salmon in a medium bowl. Flake apart with a fork; remove any bones and skin. Add egg and mustard; mix well. Add the onion mixture, breadcrumbs and pepper; mix well. Shape the mixture into 8 patties, about 2 1/2 inches wide.
4. Heat remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in the pan over medium heat. Add 4 patties and cook until the undersides are golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a wide spatula, turn them over onto the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining patties.
5. Bake the salmon cakes until golden on top and heated through, 15 to 20 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare Creamy Dill Sauce. Serve salmon cakes with sauce and lemon wedges.
Creamy Dill Sauce,
1 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
1/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
2 scallions, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh dill, or parsley
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
Combine mayonnaise, yogurt, scallions, lemon juice, dill (or parsley) and pepper in a small bowl and mix well.
324 calories; 10 g fat; 21 g carbohydrates; 31 g protein; 7 g fiber;
Cheese & Spinach Stuffed Portobellos
4 large portobello mushroom caps
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
1 cup finely chopped fresh spinach
1/2 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
2 tablespoons finely chopped kalamata olives
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
3/4 cup prepared marinara sauce
1.Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
2.Place mushroom caps, gill-side up, on the prepared pan. Sprinkle with salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Roast until tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
3.Meanwhile, mash ricotta, spinach, 1/4 cup Parmesan, olives, Italian seasoning and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a medium bowl. Place marinara sauce in a small bowl, cover and microwave on High until hot, 30 seconds to 1 1/2 minutes.
4.When the mushrooms are tender, carefully pour out any liquid accumulated in the caps. Return the caps to the pan gill-side up. Spread 1 tablespoon marinara into each cap; cover the remaining sauce to keep warm. Mound a generous 1/3 cup ricotta filling into each cap and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan. Bake until hot, about 10 minutes. Serve with the remaining marinara sauce.
Per serving: 201 calories; 10 g fat; 13 g carbohydrates; 14 g protein; 2 g fiber;
Chicken Sauteed with Leeks & Arugula
This is a perfect balance of carbs and protein and not too much fat, this meal is perfect for postworkout muscle growth and repair.
1 8 oz chicken breast, pounded to 1/2 inch in thickness
2 tsp canola oil
4 tbsp of arrowroot powder, divided
3 cups cremini mushrooms sliced, stems removed
1 cup sliced leeks, rinsed and dark green part discarded.
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups thin;y sliced shallots
1 1/2 tsp low sodium soy sauce
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
6 cups of arugula
1. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Place 2 tablespoons of arrowroot powder on a plate. Dredge the chicken in the powder to coat thouroly. Add to skillet and cook until brown, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and cover with a lid.
2. Add a1/4 cup of water to the skillet and use a wooden spoon to remove any brown bits in pan. Add the mushrooms, leeks, garli and shallots. Saute for about 5 minutes, adding more water if needed to prevent more sticking/
3. Combine the remaining arrowroot with the soy sauce, lemon juice and lemon zest. Add the mixture to the pan and bring to a boil. Add the chicken back to the pan, reduce heat to simmer and cook for another 2 minutes., until the chicken no longer pink inside. Add the arugula at the end, cover with a lid and steam for 1 minute more. Serve
Mango Avocado Shrimp Salad
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons grapeseed or vegetable oil
1 tablespoon sugar
2 large firm ripe mangoes ( 2 pounds total )
2 medium avocados
2/3 cup each sliced green onion and chopped cilantro
1 tablespoon minced green chile ( or 1/2 tsp dried red chile flakes )
1 pound peeled cooked shrimp
1. In a large bowl, whisk together lime juice, oil and sugar until sugar dissolves.
2. Dice mangoes and avocado into 3/4 inch cubes; add to bowl. Add green onion, cilantro, chile and shrimp. Miix gently and serve or chill for an hour.
Calories 288 , Protein 18g, Fat 14g, Carbohydrate 26g, Fiber 2g
Taken from Sunset March 2008
Greek Salad with Grilled Chicken
1/4 cup fat free, less sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
1 garlic clove minced
4 - (4 ounces ) skinless chicken breast halves
8 cups torn romaine lettuce
1 cup sliced cucumber
8 pitted kalamata olives, halved
4 plum tomatoes, quartered lenthwise
2 (1/4 inch thick) slices red onion, seperated into ring
1/4 cup ( 1 ounce ) crumbled feta cheese
1. Combine the first 8 ingedients in a small bowl. Brush the chicken with 2 tablespoons dressing; set remaining dressing aside.
2. Place chicken on grill coated with cooking spray; cook 5 minutes on each side or until mchicken is done. Cut into 1/4 inch thick slices.
3. Combine Romaine lettuce and the nest 4 ingredients in a large bowl and toss with the remaining dressing. Divide the salad evenly among 4 plates; top each serving with cliced chicken, and sprinkle with feta cheese.
Calories 231, Protein 30g, Carbohydrate 10g, Fat 7g, Fiber 3 g
Thai Beef Salad
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons brown surgar
2 tablespoons Thai fish sauce
2 tablespoons chili paste with garlic
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 (1 1/2 pound) flank steak, trimmed
1 1/2 cups vertically sliced red onion
4 plum tomatoes cut into 6 wedges
6 cups torn romaine lettuce
1 1/4 cups thinly sliced english cucumber
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
1. Combine first 6 ingredients, stirring until sugar disolves; set half of the lime mixture aside. Combine other half of lime mixture and steak in a large ziploc bag; Marinate for 10 minutes in the refrigerator, turning once. Remove from bag and discard marinade.
2. place steak on the preheated grill that has been sprayed with cooking spray; Cook 5 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Let stand 5 minutes. Cut steak diagonally across grain in thin slices.
3. Heat a large non stick pan over medium heat and sautee onion for 3 minutes. Add tomatoes; sautee for 2 minutes. Place onion mixture, lettuce, cucumber and mint in a large bowl; toss gently to combine. Divide salad evenly among 6 plates. Top each serving with 3 ounces of steak; drizzle each serving with 1 tablespoon of reserved lime mixture.
Calories 219, Protein 24g, Carbohydrates 12g, Fat 2
Baja Fish Kabobs
Ready in 15 minutes
Makes 4 servings
1 lb firm white fish ( mahi mahi, cod, red snapper, or swordfish)
Juice of 2 lemons
Juice of 1 lime
Zest of 1/2 lemon
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp chili peppers
1/4 tsp smoked paprika
1 sweet yellow onion, cut into 1" chunks ( 16 pieces )
1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes ( 16 pieces )
1 orange bell pepper, cut into 1" chunks ( 16 pieces )
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
8 wooden skewers, soaked in water for 15 minutes
1. Preheat grill. Place juice of 1 lemon, lime juice, lemon zest, chili peppers, cumin and paprika in a bowl and whisk to combine. Add fish and marinate for 5 minutes.
2. prepare avocado sauce while fish is marinating. Add avocado chunks, juice of 1 lemon and cilantro to a blender and puree.
3. Thread 4 pieces of fish, onion, tomato and bell pepper onto each skewer.
4. Place skewers onto grill and cook 2-3 minutes; flip and cook an additional 2-3 minutes. Serve with avocado dipping sauce.
Nutritional info ( 2 skewers )
Calories 222. fat 9g, Carbohydrates 13g, Protein 23g, Fiber 5g
Chicken Parmesan with Zucchini Noodles
Ready in 20 minutes
Makes 2 servings
2 medium zucchinis
6 oz chicken breast
1/4 cup whole wheat flour*
1 tsp ground basil
1 tsp ground oregano
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
2 tsp olive oill
15 oz can diced tomatoes
1/4 cup shredded mozzaella cheese
2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
1. Using a potato peeler, cut zucchinis into long strips the length of the zucchini, until you reach the seeds.
2. Pound the chicken to about 1/8 inch thick and cut in half.
3. In a shallow bowl, combine the flour with half of the seasonings. dredge the chicken breast halves in flour and seasoning mixture, coating each side.
4.Heat oil in a skillet on medium heat. Brown chicken breast on each side, 2 minutes per side. Remove and set aside. Add zucchini strips and 1/4 cup of water to skillet. Cover with a lid and steam for 1 minute. reomove and set aside.
5. Add diced tomatoes, remaining seasonings and chicken to skillet, and mix to combine. Cover with a lid and allow to heat through for 5 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons mozzarella and 1 tablespoon Parmesan to each chicken breast. Cover with a lid for 2 more minutes until the cheese is melted. Serve
Calories 388, Fat 12g, Carbohydrates 29g, Protein 38g, Fiber 8g
* Tip Sensitive to gluten? Instead of Whole Wheat Flour, opt for Brown Rice Flour
Mexican Chef Salad Recipe
4 corn tortillas
1 pound ground turkey breast
1/4 cup minced onion
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
8 cups romaine lettuce, shredded
3 green onions, sliced
1/2 tomato, seeded and diced
1 can no salt added kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup fat-free greek yogurt mixed with 1 cup of salsa for the dressing
6 olives sliced, low fat shredded cheddar cheese and avocado slices for topping ( optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut tortillas into thin strips and place on cookie sheet. Spray both sides lightly with cooking spray. Bake about 5-8 minutes, turn over with a spatula and continue baking another 5-8 minutes or until lightly browned and crispy. Cool to room temperature
Brown ground turkey and minced onion in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add seasonings and mix well. Cook on medium heat for abot 15 minutes.. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
In large mixing bowl, combine cooled turkey and lettuce and toss well. Top with green onion, tomatoes, kidney beans and Greek yogurt and salsa. Add a pinch of cheese, a few slices of avocado, and sliced olives for a garnish
Makes 6 servings
Serving Size: 2 cups
Protein 23 grams
Carbohydrates 30 grams
Fat grams 7 grams
Carne Asada Tacos
1/2 cup white vinegar
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 3/4 teaspoons salt, divided
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 pounds flank or skirt steak, trimmed and cut into 3 equal portions
1 pound tomatoes, chopped
2-4 fresh jalapeño peppers or serrano chiles, seeded and finely diced
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 ripe but slightly firm avocado, diced
Juice of 1 lime
16 5- to 6-inch corn or whole-wheat flour tortillas, warmed
1/3 cup crumbled Cotija cheese (see Tip) or other shredded cheese
Serves 8, 2 tacos each
1. Whisk vinegar, chili powder, oil, 2 teaspoons salt and garlic powder in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Add steak and turn to coat. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour and up to 24 hours.
2. Make salsa about 20 minutes (and up to 2 hours) before cooking the meat: Gently combine tomatoes, jalapeños (or chiles) to taste, onion, cilantro, avocado, lime juice and the remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl.
3. Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
4. Place the steak on a rimmed baking sheet (discard the marinade). Broil 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium. Transfer to a clean cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. Thinly slice against the grain. Serve the steak wrapped in warm tortillas and topped with the salsa and cheese.
This works great on the grill as well.
350 calories, Fat 14 g, Carbohydrates 28g, Protein 29g, Fiber 6g
Creamy Curry Salmon Salad
3 oz canned salmon, flaked and mashed
1/4 cup low fat plain yogurt
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp fresh dill
1 medium scallion, diced
1/4 cup cherry tomatoes, diced
1. Add salmon, yogurt, curry powder, dill, scallion and tomatoes into a mixing bowl and stir to combine.
2. Serve with whole grain pita bread or crackers, or on a bed of mixed greens.
Turkey Stuffed Bell Peppers
makes 4 servings
4 bell pepers
1 lb lean ground turkey
1 cup cooked quinoa
1 whole egg
3 egg whites
1/2 c chopped scallion
2 tbsp italian seasoning
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tbsp chopped garlic
1 tsp sea salt
2 tbsp jarred tomato sauce
Parmesan cheese to top (optional)
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut peppers in half discarding seeds.
2. In a large mixing bowl combine turkey, quinoa, egg and whites, scallion and all seasonings, plus 1 tablespoon of tomato sauce. Mix well.
3. Stuff each pepper half with the mixture. Top each pepper with the remaining tomato sauce. Sprinkle with cheese and bake for 45 minutes. Serve
Nutritional info (not including cheese)
1 whole pepper
Fat 3 grams
Carbohydrates 22 grams
Fiber 5 grams
Protein 32 grams
Stacked Vegetable Lasagna
1 whole cauliflower, trimmed and sliced through in thin slices
1 whole eggplant trimmed and sliced lenghtwise in thin slices
3 medium zucchini, trimmed and sliced lengthwise in thin slices
6 large fresh tomatoes- sliced into thick slices
1 large purple onion sliced and seperated into rings
6 portobelllo mushrooms, brushed clean, stems removed
3 cups of your favorite clean* tomato sauce
8 oz low fat mozzarella, shredded
pinch of sea salt
pinch of pepper or to taste
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Lightly mist olive oil onto a lasagna pan. Arrange cauliflower on the bottom of pan.
3. Arrange eggplant on top off the cauliflower and mushroom on top of this. Distribute half of the onion over the mushrooms. Arrange tomato slices on top of this. Pour 1 1/2 cups of sauce over top and season with salt & pepper.
4. Repeat layering process ending with the tomatoes as the last layer. Sprinkle one cup of cheese over top, and then pour remaining sauce over cheese.
5.Bake in preheated oven for 60 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
6. Turn oven to broil setting, sprinkle rest of cheese over top and leave pan in oven 10 min more.
7. Let lasagna cool 10 -15 minutes before serving.
1/12 of Recipe Calories 130, Fat 3 grams, Protein 9 grams, Carbohydrates 21 grams
Chocolate Banana Bonbons
2oz- 70% cocoa dark chocolate chips or chocolate bar, chopped
Heat a small saucepan on medium. Add the chocolate, and melt stirring often, until smooth, about 2-5 minutes; watch closely to prevent burning. Slice 2 bananas, peeled into ½ inch thick rounds. Dip 1 side of each round into chocolate and transfer, chocolate side up on a baking sheet. Freeze until chocolate hardens and bananas are frozen through, about an hour. Serve immediately or transfer bananas to a large Ziploc bag or airtight container for up to 1 month.
Nutritional info (6 Bonbons )
4 fat grams
PURELY PALEO PUMPKIN MUFFINS
makes 12 muffins
1/2 cup coconut flour
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp gropund nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 whole eggs
1/4 cup stevia or truvia sweetner
1/4 c unsweetend applesauce
Pumpkin seeds for topping, optional
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place muffin cups in a 12 muffin tin. Combine all dry ingredients in a medium bowl, combine all wet ingredients in another bowl. Add dry mixture to wet mixture and mix thoroughly until well combined. Spoon mixture evenly into 12 muffin tins. Bake for 18-20 minutes. let cool and enjoy!
Banana Walnut Oatmeal
Makes 2 servings
1 medium banana mashed
1/2 c rolled oats
1 cup skim milk
1 tbsp wheat germ
1tbsp ground flaxseed
1 tbsp walnuts, crushed
Combine banana oats and milk. Microwave on high for 3 minutes, stirring each minute.
After cooking, stir in remaining ingredients and serve.
Fat 6 grams
Carbohydrates 36 grams
Protein 10 grams
Fiber 5 grams
Pumpkin Protein Bars
½ C Xylitol Brown Sugar Blend (Ideal)
1- 4 oz. jar baby food applesauce
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 ½ tsp. ground ginger
½ tsp. ground clove
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
2 tsp. vanilla extract
4 large egg whites
1- 15 oz. can of raw pumpkin
2 C oat flour
2 scoops vanilla whey protein
½ cup almond milk
½ C chopped walnuts (optional)
Preheat the oven to 350.
Spray a 9 X 13 Pyrex dish with non-stick spray.
Combine first 11 ingredients and mix well.
Add the final 3 ingredients (4, if adding walnuts), and mix until incorporated.
Spread batter into the Pyrex dish and bake for 30 min.
Makes 24 squares.
Nutrition (without walnuts): 1 square = 47 calories, .7 g fat, 8 g carbs, 3.7 g protein
Nutrition with walnuts: 1 square = 63 calories, 2.3 g fat, 8 g carbs, 4 g protein
Protein Packed Crepes
2 egg whites
1/2 scoop protein powder
1 tsp almond butter
1/3 apple sliced
Whisk in a bowl two egg whites with a 1/2 scoop of protein powder. Blend well and pour onto a non stick heated pan and cook like a pancake. Flip carefully with a spatula once the edges begin to bubble. Remove from the pan and top with the almond butter, sliced apples and a sprinkling of cinnamon.
Makes 1 serving
2 large handfuls spinach salad mix
1/2 cup ground turkey
1 cup chopped veggies (bell pepper, broccoli, mushrooms)
2 tbsp homemade dressing
This recipe will yield 31 grams of protein from the turkey, 11 grams of healthy fats from the avocado, and about 400 calories total. There are very few carbs in this meal, making it perfect for low-carb dieters. But if you want to boost your carbs in this meal, add some brown rice or quinoa on the side.
1/3 cup cooked quinoa
1 cup cooked ground turkey
1 cup stir fry veggies or spinach
Mix together and add 1 tbsp soy sauce
One bowl makes 1 serving. Each serving contains 13 grams of carbs, 4 grams of fiber, 53 grams of protein, 461 calories.
2 lbs ground turkey ( or beef, turkey, and combinations)
1/4 heaping cup chopped celery
1/4 heaping cup mushroom, diced
1/4 cup oatmeal
1/4 cup finely chopped onion or 1 tbsp dehydrated onion flakes
2 cloves garlic, minced, or 1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dry mustard powder
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried sage
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp salt
2 egg whites
1/4 cup water
Preheat oven at 325 degrees.
Spray 2 muffin tins with nonstick spray or oil.
Mix all ingredients in a bowl (using your hands works best).
Cook at 325 degrees for 22 minutes.
This recipe makes about two dozen turkey muffins. They're great to take to work for lunch and can be combined with salad, quinoa, brown rice, or veggies for an easy and healthy dinner.
Three muffins make one serving. Each serving contains 2 grams of carbs, 2 grams of fiber, 30 grams of protein, and 263 calories.
SWEET CINNAMON QUIONA
1/4 cup cooked quinoa
1 palm-full of walnuts or pecans (7-10 individual nuts)
1 palm-full of blackberries or blueberries
Sprinkle of cinnamon
Sweeten with stevia (zero-calorie, natural sweetener) or use agave nectar or a bit of honey
What you need to do:
Reheat your quinoa in the microwave (you can add a splash of soy milk, almond milk, or hemp milk if you want it to be more moist).
Add the walnuts, blackberries, cinnamon and stevia and mix it all together with a spoon.
Lemon Chicken Scaloppine
with Arugula and Capellini
1/2 lb whole wheat capellini pasta
2 tsp olive oil
1 lb boneless chicken breast cutlets
1/4 tsp each sea salt and fresh ground pepper
1 large lemon, zested and thinly sliced into rounds ( about 8 rounds)
1 cup low sodium chicken broth
2 cups baby arugula
1/4 cup grated low fat parmesan cheese
Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and set aside.
brush a pan with olive oil and pre heat on medium heat, add chicken cutlets in a single layer and sprinkle with sea salt & pepper. Sear 1 minute and flip. Sear one more minute; top chicken with lemon rounds. Add broth, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
With a slotted spoon spatula, remove chicken and lemon from pan and transfer to a large plate; cover to keep warm. To pan, add the cooked pasta, arugula and lemon zest and toss to coat. Spoon pasta and arugula onto serving plates and top with chicken, lemon and Parmesan, dividing evenly.
Tip: When cooking with less fat, ensure an even distribution of oil by brushing it on instead of pouring it on. ( A Misto works well too. )
1cup of pasta and 4 oz chicken = 389 Calories
7 grams fat
Protien 36 grams
Carbs 46 grams
Fiber 6 grams
Bow Tie Pasta with Kale, Beans and Sausage
Use a vegetable peeler to shave fresh Parmesan cheese on top of this rustic pasta dish featuring sun-dried tomatoes, turkey Italian sausage, and fresh kale.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 3/4 cups pasta mixture and 2 teaspoons cheese)
8 ounces uncooked farfalle (bow tie pasta)
1/4 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
8 ounces hot turkey Italian sausage
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1 (16-ounce) package fresh kale
1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 ounce shaved fresh Parmesan cheese (about 1/4 cup)
1. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid; keep warm.
2. Drain tomatoes in a small sieve over a bowl, reserving 2 teaspoons oil; slice tomatoes. Heat a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add sliced tomatoes, reserved 2 teaspoons tomato oil, onion, and sausage to pan; cook 10 minutes or until sausage is browned, stirring to crumble. Add garlic to pan; cook 1 minute. Add seasoning, pepper, and broth to pan. Stir in kale; cover and simmer 5 minutes or until kale is tender. Stir in pasta, reserved 1 cup cooking liquid, and beans.
Calories: 329 Fat: 9g Protein: 18.7g Carbohydrate: 45.7g
Low Fat Chocolate Chip Banana Pancakes
Cal 179 -Pro 5.9 -Carbs 28 -Fiber 2.5
1 cup unbleached white or white whole wheat flour (or use a blend of both)
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 large banana, ripe, mashed well
1 cup 1% milk (or almond milk)
3 large egg whites
2 tsp oil
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl. Combine milk, egg white, oil, vanilla and mashed bananas in another medium sized bowl and mix until smooth.
Combine wet ingredients with the dry and mix well with a wooden spoon until there are no more dry spots. Don't over-mix.
Heat a large skillet on medium-low heat. If you are using a heart shaped pancake mold, you will want to spray it lightly with cooking spray so the batter doesn't stick to it.
Lightly spray a skillet with cooking spray, place the mold on the hot skillet and pour 1/4 cup of pancake batter. Add 1 teaspoon of chocolate chips in each pancake. When the pancake starts to bubble and the edges begin to set, flip the pancakes. Repeat with the remainder of the batter
Makes about 3 cups of batter which yields 12 pancakes.
* Cut bananas into small hearts and drizzle with light agave syrup but be sure and add in extra points and calories
Crock Pot Chicken Enchilada Soup
Servings: 6 • Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups + cheese
Calories: 260.9 • Fat: 6.6 g • Protein: 25.4 g • Carb: 29.9 g • Fiber: 6.7 g
2 tsp olive oil
1/2 cup onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups low sodium fat-free chicken broth
8 oz can tomato sauce
1-2 tsp chipotle chili in adobo sauce (or more to taste)
1/4 cup chopped cilantro (plus more for garnish)
15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
14.5 oz can petite diced tomatoes
2 cups frozen corn
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp dried oregano
2 8 oz skinless chicken breasts (16 oz total)
1/4 cup chopped scallions, for topping
3/4 cup shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese
non fat Greek yogurt (optional)
Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until soft, 3-4 minutes. Slowly add the chicken broth, tomato sauce and chipotle adobo sauce and bring to a boil. Add cilantro and remove from heat. Pour into crock pot.
To the crockpot, add drained beans, diced tomatoes, corn, cumin, oregano and stir. Add the chicken breasts; cover and cook on low heat for 4-6 hours.
Remove chicken and shred with two forks. Add chicken back into the soup, adjust salt and cumin to taste. Serve in bowls and top with non fat Greek yogurt, cheese, scallions and cilantro. You can also top with avocado or crushed tortilla chips. Enjoy
Ancho Chicken Tacos
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1/4-inch strips
3/4 teaspoon ancho chile powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon grated lime rind
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, divided
1/4 cup light sour cream
2 tablespoons 1% low-fat milk
1/2 ripe peeled avocado, diced
2 cups packaged angel hair slaw
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon canola oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
1. Heat a large skillet over high heat. Sprinkle chicken evenly with chile powder, garlic salt, and cumin. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add chicken to pan; cook 4 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove chicken from pan.
2. Combine rind, 1 tablespoon juice, and next 3 ingredients (through avocado) in a blender or food processor; process until smooth.
3. Combine remaining 1 tablespoon juice, slaw, onions, cilantro, oil, and salt, tossing to coat.
4. Heat tortillas according to directions. Divide chicken mixture evenly among tortillas. Top each tortilla with about 1 tablespoon avocado mixture and 1/4 cup slaw mixture.
Energy boosting oatmeal
1/2 cup regular rolled oats
11/2 cups water
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp dried cranberries
1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
1 cup of soy milk
Bring water to a boil in a saucepan, add oats, lower heat and stir until water is absorbed. ( about 5 minutes )
stir in remaining ingredients and serve with soy milk.
Oatmeal Cottage Cheese Pancakes
Number of Servings: 1
1/2 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese
1/2 cup egg substitute
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp sugar
Mix all ingredients together in a blender until smooth.
Spray griddle with cooking spray.
Cook pancakes. Can also be done in a waffle iron.
Cal:332, Pro:31g, Carbs:41g, Fiber:5g
Turkey Egg Sausage Cups
12 1-oz slices deli-fresh, all-natural, low-sodium turkey breast
1/2 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese, divided
1/4 cup finely chopped green onion
Fresh ground pepper to taste
1.Preheat oven to 400°F.
2.Cut parchment paper into 12 4-inch squares. Arrange 1 piece of parchment in each of 12 muffin cups.
3.Place 1 slice of turkey breast over of parchment in each cup, using fingers to line cups with turkey. Spoon 1 tsp of salsa in each cup. Divide cheese and onion evenly among cups, then break 1 egg into each. Sprinkle evenly with pepper.
4.Bake on middle rack of oven for 18 to 20 minutes, depending on desired firmness of yolk.
Calories: 105, Pro:12, Carbs:1 g, Fiber: 0 g,
Snack Ideas to Refuel:
For less active days, choose vegetables, soup & dairy because they will trick your body into feeling satisfied on fewer calories. For the workout days, opt for pre or post workout options with more calories and nutrients that provide the stamina you need.
Less Active Days:
Greek Yogurt & Raspberries
1/2c non fat Greek yogurt
4 walnut halves
Scoop yogurt in a bowl, top with raspberries and walnut halves.
193 Cal, fat 6g, Pro 17g, Carbs 18g, Fiber 7g
For More Active Days!
Black Bean Soup
1c low fat black bean soup topped with 1 tbsp non fat Greek yogurt and 2 small slices of avocado. Enjoy with 1 sesame rye crispbread on the side.
Cal 198, Carb 35g, Pro 10g, Fiber 8g
Lunch Ideas to Keep You Energized!
Swiss Turkey Burger
4oz 99% lean turkey burger patty, cooked and topped with 1/2 slice of low fat Swiss cheese.
Assemble burger with 1 tbsp of hummus, 1 slice of tomato, 1 slice red onion and lettuce leaves on to a multi grain orowheat sandwich thin. Enjoy with 1/2c grapes.
Cal 415, Pro 41.6g, Carbs 53g, Fat 10.5, Fiber 6.5
Grilled Chicken & Spinach Salad
2c Baby Spinach
5 slices of cucumber
5 halved grape tomatoes or rinsed canned pineapple
1/4c canned chickpeas (rinsed in water)
4oz grilled chicken breast
1/2 tsp olive oil
11/2 tsp balsamic vinegar.
Mix together in a medium sized bowl and toss until mixed well. Top with 2 tbsp diced avocado. Enjoy with 2 rye crisp breads and 1 tbsp hummus.
Cal 504, Carb 53g, Pro 36g, Fiber 12g, Fat 16g
Currently there are no scheduled classes.